Why Give to the Church?
The Bible has a lot to say about giving. In fact, giving is so important that it is talked about more than almost any other subject in the scriptures. The WHY of giving is sprinkled throughout the Bible.
- Our giving acknowledges God as creator and giver of all good gifts.
- Our giving reflects our trust in God to continue to provide for our needs.
- Our giving connects us to what God is doing in the world here and now.
- Our giving opens us to the blessing of abundance.
- Our giving is a way for us to follow through on God’s command to love our neighbor.
Stewardship is the word we use for the giving of our material resources to the work of God and God’s church. The act of giving, and its motivation, tend to be multi-layered and unique to each person and congregation. But one thing connects them all – giving makes a difference! Whether the act of giving is a significant aspect of your spiritual discipline that comes out of a response to God’s grace and the call to “follow me” or your giving stems from a desire to impact the world around you with generosity that mirrors God’s own generosity or your giving is a way to show your gratitude for the blessings you have received through the ministry of the church – it’s still about transformation. We recognize that generous giving not only transforms the world around us, but it transforms our hearts and souls and the way we see the world as well.